What to Look for When Buying a Used Car
There are plenty of places and people offering used car buying tips around Dayton, but there are three main categories to look for. Issues with individual models and model years that can be found through research, general mechanical issues that can be checked for with a checklist, and vehicle history that can be purchased to see exactly how the car has been used over the years. Looking for more details about what to look for when buying a used car? Not sure what to ask when buying a used car? Read on, and feel free to get in touch with us about anything you would like to have clarified.
How to Buy a Used Car From a Dealer
There’s a simple couple of steps one should take when buying a vehicle – the basic starter car buying tips all should follow:
- Set a Budget: Take time to consider the balance between cost to buy and cost to own. Be sure to factor in future repairs, new tires, routine maintenance, and if a car loan is needed to finance the used car. A tip to keep in mind is that a monthly payment shouldn’t exceed 10% of your monthly income. Get an idea of monthly payments with our payment calculator.
- Find the Right Used Car: There are a couple of factors you should consider when learning how to buy a used car. It should fit your budget, match your mileage expectations, and come with a vehicle history report. We’ll cover what else to check for when buying a used car in the next section. Start by compiling a list of cars you’re interested in and compare that to what’s offered at the dealership. Then, do a deep dive into the reliability reviews from sites like Edmunds or Kelley Blue Book, and compare what price the vehicle sold for in your area.
- Test Drive and Inspect the Models: It can take determination to find the right used car that matches your style. Be sure to thoroughly inspect the vehicle and have it inspected by a trusted mechanic, and take it out for a test drive to verify the performance you’re taking on Sidney-area roads.
- Used Car Financing and Other Fees: Once you’ve found a used car that works, take your time to explore your loan options, and be sure to factor in other fees and credits like state sales tax, registration fees, and the trade-in value of your previous vehicle. When completing the deal, you’ll also want to make sure you’re covered with any applicable warranties and car insurance plans.
What to Ask When Buying a Used Car
Here are great questions to ask when you’re around Springfield and looking for a used car:
- Is there a history of maintenance?
- Is the vehicle history report available?
- Do the amenities and features work like they’re supposed to?
- What is the ownership history?
- What is the vehicle’s mileage?
- Are there any current recalls on the vehicle?
- How was the vehicle priced?
- Can I take the car to a mechanic for an inspection?
- Do you have the title in hand?
- Is the car as is, or is it under warranty?
- Does this vehicle affect your insurance premiums?
Find Out More About What to Look for When Buying a Used Car from Dave Arbogast Buick GMC
Make use of our online financing application today, and visit our showroom near Sidney!
More from Dave Arbogast Buick GMC
Have you done your research and determined that the 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 is the pickup truck for you? You’re in great company! The Sierra 1500 is one of the most recognizable names in the truck industry, with years of class-leading specs on its record. So, adding a new Sierra 1500 to your driveway…
The 2022 Buick Encore colors make it easy to add a personal flair to your new compact crossover! Dave Arbogast Buick GMC is home to a great selection of new Encore, with a wide range of trim levels and colors to choose from. If you’d like to get an idea of what’s available before you visit us…
The 2022 GMC Acadia Towing Capacity is up to 4,000 pounds maximum when properly equipped. That’s enough to tow ATVs, motorcycles, jet skis, and many other toys. At the high end, you might just be able to tow a very lightweight coupe or roadster, as the trailer for the load also takes up weight…